Monday, August 6, 2007

Testing Testing

Hello Everybody! Welcome to my blog!

As part of this first blog entry, I decided to answer the question "Of the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners, which habits are the easiest and hardest for you & why?"

Habit 1 - setting Goals - is probably the easiest habit for me, whether the learning activity is for business or pleasure. What is probably hardest for me is Habit 5 - Path to the Goal. I would like to learn a new language. I would like to work through a list of postcolonial literature. You know, I really need to familiarize myself with PHP. But what is hard is structuring my "play" with "target dates for completion". These two concepts seem to be diametrically opposed!!

But my recent journey back to school for my graduate degree taught me more than just about cataloging and information retrieval. It showed me that:

  1. I have a LOT more time than I thought I had.
  2. That something important to me is deserving of both my time and attention. What does that mean? Perhaps our "play" requires a bit of scheduling, a little structure, or a few "target dates for completion" so that it doesn't get lost among the many obstacles that help us put these important learning activities off.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for this week. See you next post!

No comments: